[ncl-talk] Problems with ESMF regridding

Barry Lynn barry.h.lynn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 06:33:46 MDT 2023

Hi:

Perhaps this will help?

precip_o = a_r->A_PCP_GDS5_SFC_acc1h

dims_p = dimsizes(precip_o)

print(dims_p)

latitude := a_r->g5_lat_0

longitude := a_r->g5_lon_1

    system("rm -f destination_grid_bulk_precip_file.nc ")

    system("rm -f source_grid_bulk_precip_file.nc")

; If you are regridding to an unstructured grid, set:

;https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/ESMF_regrid_21.ncl

    Opt = True

; Opt at DstGridType = "unstructured"

;   Opt at DstGridType = "curvilinear"

;   Opt at InterpMethod      = "bilinear"        ;;---Change (maybe)

;   Opt at InterpMethod      = "conserve"        ;;---Change (maybe)

    Opt at InterpMethod      = "patch"        ;;---Change (maybe)

    Opt at WgtFileName       = "wrfout_temp_curv.nc"

    Opt at SrcGridLat        := latitude

    Opt at SrcGridLon        := longitude

    Opt at SrcRegional       = True              ;;--Change (maybe)

;SrcFileName is just the name you want to give the intermediate NetCDF file
that gets created in order

;to describe your source grid to the ESMF_RegridWeightGen program.  If you
don't set this, the

;intermediate file will be called "source_grid_bulk_precip_file.nc".

;I suggest not setting this at all, or, if you do set it, call it something
like "WRF_SCRIP_file.nc".

;   Opt at SrcInputFileName  = src_file          ; optional, but good idea

;   Opt at SrcInputFileName  = a          ; optional, but good idea

    Opt at DstGridLat        = xlat2d(:,:)          ; destination grid

    Opt at DstGridLon        = xlon2d(:,:)

    Opt at DstRegional       = True              ;;--Change (maybe)

    Opt at ForceOverwrite    = True

    Opt at PrintTimings      = False

    Opt at Debug             = True

    grid = ESMF_regrid(precip_o,Opt)     ; Do the regridding

    printMinMax(grid,False)

    printVarSummary(grid)