[ncl-talk] Plotting Composite radar data -- how to?

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Thu Sep 22 13:53:36 MDT 2022

Barry, this file lacks the coordinate variables that are normally provided
in most published Netcdf data sets.  However, there appears to be almost
enough information in the global attributes to construct grid coordinates.
There are reference latitude and longitude, and the X and Y grid spacing.

The reference coordinates are ambiguous.  My guess is they are probably
grid center coordinates, but not sure.  With odd numbers for both X and Y
dimensions, that suggests that the center grid point (1000, 1000) is right
at (40N, 110W).

So just calculate X and Y coordinate vectors centered on the reference
coordinates, attach them to the data variable, then plot normally.  To
minimize precision loss, use *ispan* and divide by 100 as the final step,
because 0.01 step size is not exactly representable in floating point.
 (Not very important.)  E.g.:

      lats  = lat_center  + (double (ispan (-1000, 1000, 1)) / 100)
      lons = lon_center + (double (ispan (-1000, 1000, 1)) / 100)