[ncl-talk] ESMF Regridding: one less latitude band in the destination file

Tabish Ansari tabishumaransari at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 10:12:40 MST 2022

Hi

I have two global emissions datasets: one at a lower resolution of 1.9x2.5
degrees (96x144 grid points) and another at a higher resolution of 0.1x0.1
degrees (1800x3600 grid points).

I want to regrid the second dataset to the coarse resolution of the first
one. I generated a weights file and followed the recommended procedure
using the ESMF regridding function within NCL to achieve the desired output:

*load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"load
"$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/esmf/ESMF_regridding.ncl"begin    sfile =
addfile("/data/sync/modelinput/HTAPv3-Emissions-tan/edgar_HTAPv3_2018_NOx.nc","r")
  nox  = sfile->HTAPv3_1_International_Shipping(0,:,:)
printVarSummary(nox)    Opt                = True    Opt at ForceOverwrite =
True    Opt at InterpMethod   = "conserve"    Opt at DstGridType    = "1.9x2.5"
  Opt at DstURCorner    = (/  90, 357.5/)     Opt at DstLLCorner    = (/ -90,
0/)    nox_regrid = ESMF_regrid(nox,Opt)    printVarSummary(nox_regrid)end*

This leads to a resulting variable with *95x144* grid points, however the
first dataset has *96x144* grid points. I have supplied all the information
of the first grid through the grid type and corner options here. Still, the
resultant grid has one less latitude band. Please let me know if something
is obviously wrong here. Perhaps something to do with grid staggering?

Thanks a lot.

with best regards,

Tabish

Dr Tabish Ansari