[ncl-talk] month_to_season

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu May 26 08:36:25 MDT 2022

It is always best to examine the variable's structure via
printVarSummary(...)

[1]
  o3x = f[:]->O3
  printVarSummary(o3x)        ; I speculate 4 dimensions
(time,level,lat,lon)

[2]
  o3x_surf = o3x(0,55,:,:)
  printVarSummary(o3x_surf)   ; TWO dimension (lat,lon);  NO 'time'
dimension

  I think you want
     o3x_surf = o3x(:,55,:,:) ; (time,lat,lon)

[3]
; seasons average at surface
  xDJF = month_to_seasonN(o3x,(/"DJF","MAM","JJA","SON"/))
  printVarSummary(xDJF)       ; I speculate  (4,lat,lon)

The name xDJF implies a one season mean for DJF but it is not.
I think it should contain 4 seasonal means

I think you should name it xSea for 'season'
  xSea_surf = month_to_seasonN(o3x_surf,(/"DJF","MAM","JJA","SON"/))
  printVarSummary(xSea_surf)       ; I speculate  (4,lat,lon)

[4]
   The following creates a scalar variable of type string
   o3x_surf1 = "DJF"
   print(03x_surf1)

   I have no idea why you are doing this.
   ***This has no spatial information.*** It cannot be plotted on a map.

[5]
The rest is too confusing to explain.

To get to the 'answer'
   xSea_surf(4,lat,lon)

has spatial coordinates:
            lat: [ -90..  90]
            lon: [   0..358.75]

You must use *lonFlip*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/lonFlip.shtml> to
get longitudes to get the -180->180 range
   xSea_surf :=* lonFlip*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/lonFlip.shtml>
(xSea_surf)
   printVarSummary(xSea_surf)        ; look at 'new' coordinates

--
   res at gsnLeftString = "DJF_dry cold"
  plot1 = gsn_csm_contour_map_ce(wks,xSea_surf(0,{-35:35},{-30:60}),res)

   res at gsnLeftString = "MAM_dry warm"
  plot2 = gsn_csm_contour_map_ce(wks,xSea_surf2(1,:,:),res)

etc
=======

I did this VERY QUICKLY. there may be errors but you shuld have the idea of
how to proceed.

Good Luck