[ncl-talk] Computing the level of free convection, equilibrium level etc. for CAPE

Sai Prasanth prashanth.bhalachandran at gmail.com
Wed May 4 14:31:16 MDT 2022

Dear NCL experts,
I am trying to compute the CAPE for the various columns in a cyclonic storm
and I'd like to change the definition of the "environment". As a result,
I'd like to have control over the various steps in the process and prefer
not to directly use the CAPE_3D subroutine. Unfortunately, I can't seem to
figure out how to calculate the integral limits viz. the level of free
convection and the level of equilibrium. I see that the parcel is defined
as the 500 m vertical block within which the various parameters are
averaged. Can you please share the code of wrf_cape_3d or explain in
algorithmic terms how the environment is defined, and how the two levels
that form the integral bounds are computed?

Thank you,
Prashanth