[ncl-talk] Sum over a variable using several netcdf files

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Feb 18 12:23:31 MST 2022

"sum over all these 4 files to have a total temperature value"

sum or average?

=====================

   diri = "./"
   fili = systemfunc("cd "+diri+" ; ls FOO*.nc")
   nfili= dimsizes(fili)
   print("nfili="+nfili)
   f    = addfiles(diri+fili,"r")
   tmp  = f[:]->TEMP

   printVarSummary(tmp)      ; tmp(time,lat,lon)
                             ;       0   1   2

   tavg = *dim_avg_n*_*Wrap*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/dim_avg_n_Wrap.shtml>(tmp,0)
  ; _Wrap ==> return meta data

   printVarSummary(tavg)     ; tavg(lat,lon)

or

   tsum = *dim_sum_n_Wrap*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/dim_sum_n_Wrap.shtml>
(tmp,0)

   printVarSummary(tsum)     ; tsum(lat,lon)

 =============

You could use the NCO or CDO from an NCL script.

Use *systemfunc*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/systemfunc.shtml>

    path = ....

    systemfunc("...")   ; use CDO or NCO to create a file;; say  FOO_Avg.nc

    favg = addfile("FOO_Avg.nc", r)  ; read the file created by NCO or CDO

    tavg = favg->T...

other examples are at:

*https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/>

See under

*Miscellaneous*

*Specifically:  System interactions and scripting
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/system.shtml>*

*https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/system.shtml*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/system.shtml>