[ncl-talk] NCL process multiple ERA5 data problems

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Wed May 19 15:23:01 MDT 2021

Hi Shasha,
Can you send the part of your script where you read in the data, along with
the results of printing the string array that holds your
systemfunc commands?

An example of coding where multiple files are read in would look something
like this:
fils = systemfunc("ls *_pre_6hour_u.nc")
print(fils)
a = addfiles(fils,"r")
array = a[:]->u
printVarSummary(array)
(You will have to modify the above for your situation.)

Please respond to the ncl-talk email list with the outputs of the print
statements cited above, along with the coding you are using to read the
data in.
Adam

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 6:32 AM Shang, Shasha (IMK) via ncl-talk <
ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu> wrote:

> Dear ncl-tal group,
>

> I have a question that when I use NCL “systemfunc” to read many ERA5
> files.
>
> The detail as following:
>
> Because of the download limitation size of ERA5, we couldn’t download a
> long time series what we need in one file. So we usually have files like
> this: 1979_1994_pre_6hour_u.nc 1995_2010_pre_6hour_u.nc
> 2011_2018_pre_6hour_u.nc
>
> Then I will use NCL function “systemfunc”  to list all the files and read
> them at the same time. But, at the end, when I calculate an area mean of
> one variable, the final values only right at the first file, that is from
> 1979 to 1994 in my case.
>

> When I calculate every file separately, the results are right.
>

> So the problem is that the NCL could not process several splitted ERA5
> files right. Does anyone encounter the same problem? If there are any
> solutions for that?
>

> Best,
>
> Shasha

Adam Phillips