[ncl-talk] interpolate wind speeds to 120m height

Maryam Golbazi mgolbazi at udel.edu
Thu May 6 12:52:14 MDT 2021

Hi everyone,

I am trying to plot the total wind speeds at ~120m height from my wrfout
files. I have done this in 2 ways and I get different results. I was
wondering if you can help me understand what is the best way to do this. In
my wrfout file, I have set the e_vert and eta_levels in a way that my 8th
model level is at height ~120m. I used 2 ways to plot this:

1. I used the "wrf_user_vert_interp" function in NCL to interpolate the
wind speed to 120m height (please see "wind_interp.ncl").

2. I used U and V at the 9th model level and plotted it directly at 9th eta
level (please see "wind_eta_plot.ncl")

In the second approach, the plot is much more detailed but also shows some
streaks in my wind output that are unusual (they may be problem in wrf runs
too!). So, I am wondering which of the two approaches are correct to plot
the wind speeds.

Any ideas or comments are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Maryam

--
Maryam Golbazi