[ncl-talk] color scheme

Gurer, Kemal@ARB kemal.gurer at arb.ca.gov
Tue Mar 30 13:43:26 MDT 2021

Hello,

I am plotting ceilometer data using the color scheme "MPL_gist_ncar" from the following color tables:

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/color_table_gallery.shtml

I attached the original plot (ceilometer_backscatter_org.jpg) and my plot (ceilometer_backscatter_mine.jpg) to this email. The use of "MPL_gist_ncar" gave a better plot than the other ones I tried, but I did not try every single table.

As the comparison of the plots show that the color scheme used in the original plot captured a lot more details of the backscatter values than I was able to capture in my own plot. Hence, it seems that the choice of the color scheme as well as how the range of values that are assigned to each color can give a lot more details about the data. I tested quite a few color tables available in the list but couldn't generate a plot as good as the original one which shows a lot more details of the backscatter data between 10:19 and 16:19 UTC time and below 1 km in the original plot.

Could you tell me if there is a better color scheme that I can use from the color table? And, how can I can assign a range of backscatter values to a specific color that I can generate a better plot? On a side note, I don't think this plot was generated by ncl. I am assuming the plot was generated by Matlab or another software, but using the ncl's broad range of color schemes and distributing the data for a range can produce a graph similar to the original plot.

Thank you for your help.

Kemal.