[ncl-talk] Plotting vertical temperature from WRF

ali mughal mughalali655 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 03:11:08 MDT 2021

Dear NCL community

I present  outputs of height variable "z"  from WRF out file at two
different locations.

 a=addfile("../wrfout_d05_2016-04-01_00:00:00","r")
z = wrf_user_getvar(a, "z",-1)
 printVarSummary(z)
Variable: z
Type: float
Total Size: 3776346000 bytes
            944086500 values
Number of Dimensions: 4
*Dimensions and sizes:   [Time | 697] x [bottom_top | 50] x [south_north |
129] x [west_east | 210]*
*Coordinates:*
Number Of Attributes: 6
 FieldType :   104
 MemoryOrder : XYZ
 description : Height
 units :       m
 stagger :
 coordinates : XLONG XLAT
 *height_level = z(0,0,1,1)*
print(height_level)
*(0)     5.383059*

*height_level2 = z(0,0,68,160)*
*(0)     18.77475*

My question is *"Is terrain height included in these two outputs" or
otherwise what is causing the difference between the two locations*.  Kindly
note that the elevation above the mean sea level of the 2nd location is 15m
while the height above ground level is 2.3 m.

Kindly also see all the 50 outputs at these two locations below. Please
note that the difference between the two remains 13-14 until the 49th
level.
z(0,0,1,1) z(0,0,68,160)
0 5.383059 18.77475
1 16.15251 29.5406