[ncl-talk] ESMF regridding

Chathurika chatu at scsio.ac.cn
Wed Mar 24 09:28:01 MDT 2021

Dear All,

Thank you so much for reading my email and helping me out to solve this issue.

I want to perform the significance test (ttest) over time dimension for the differences of two datasets which have lat[:,:] and lon[:,:] (two dimensional, like WRF).

 differences = (high resolution - low resolution).

However, the dimensions of lat and lon are not same. The variable summary is;

Low resolution:

Type: float

Total Size: 54067200 bytes

            13516800 values

Number of Dimensions: 3

Dimensions and sizes: [time | 240] x [j | 220] x [i | 256]

Coordinates:

            time: [52975.5..60249.5]

            j: [0..219]

            i: [0..255]

Number Of Attributes: 11

  standard_name : sea_surface_height_above_geoid

  long_name : Sea Surface Height Above Geoid

  comment : This is the dynamic sea level, so should have zero global area mean. It should not include inverse barometer depressions from sea ice.

  units : m

  original_name : zos

  cell_methods : area: mean where sea time: mean

  cell_measures : area: areacello

  history : 2019-09-04T15:31:31Z altered by CMOR: replaced missing value flag (-9e+33) and corresponding data with standard missing value (1e+20).

  missing_value : 1e+20

  _FillValue : 1e+20

  coordinates : latitude longitude

High resolution:

Type: float

Total Size: 311047680 bytes

            77761920 values

Number of Dimensions: 3

Dimensions and sizes: [time | 240] x [j | 404] x [i | 802]

Coordinates:

            time: [52975.5..60249.5]

            j: [0..403]

            i: [0..801]

Number Of Attributes: 11

  standard_name : sea_surface_height_above_geoid

  long_name : Sea Surface Height Above Geoid

  comment : This is the dynamic sea level, so should have zero global area mean. It should not include inverse barometer depressions from sea ice.

  units : m

  original_name : zos

  cell_methods : area: mean where sea time: mean

  cell_measures : area: areacello

  history : 2019-08-25T07:38:10Z altered by CMOR: replaced missing value flag (-9e+33) and corresponding data with standard missing value (1e+20).

  missing_value : 1e+20

  _FillValue : 1e+20

  coordinates : latitude longitude

*latitude and longitude have two dimensions.

I cannot do ESMF regridding as per it is not allowed to use the all three dimensions (time, lat, lon). I am little confused here, How can I use ESMF regridding and keep the time dimension also. If so, after regridding, I can perform the ttest for the resolution difference.

Please help me and Many many thanks.

Best regards,

Chathu

Wickramage Chathurika Hemamali
Msc in Physical Oceanography
State Key Laboratory of Tropical Oceanography
South China Sea Institute of Oceanology
University of Chinese Academy of Science
China

Specialized in Oceanography and Marine Geology (Bachelor)
University of Ruhuna
Matara
Sri Lanka

Email : wickramagechathurika at rocketmail.com