[ncl-talk] Confusion on GFS files in GRIB2

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 8 14:18:58 MST 2021

[1] Please: Always include the version of NCL you are using.

%> ncl -V

The most recent version is 6.6.2

[2] Before processing, you can examine a GRIB file's contents via:

%> *ncl_filedump* gfs.t00z.pgrb2.0p25.f001.grb | less

Do you see a variable named "TMP_P0_L102_GLL0" ?

[3]

grib_file = "gfs.t00z.pgrb2.0p25.f001"   + ".grb"
fin = addfile(grib_file, "r")
varnames = getfilevarnames(fin)
print(varnames)

The output you included shows only vertical dimension variables:  lv_*
(0)     lv_DBLL14_l1
(1)     lv_DBLL14_l0
(2)     lv_ISBL13
(15)    lv_HTGL2
(16)    lv_AMSL1
(17)    lv_ISBL0

Then, NCL tells you that the variable *TMP_P0_L102_GLL0* *is not in the
grib file *