[ncl-talk] Confusion on GFS files in GRIB2

Lyndz olagueralyndonmark429 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 08:44:27 MST 2021

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is an ncl question. You should have directed your
questions to the ncep help page (
https://www.ncep.noaa.gov/mail_dataquestions/)

*[1] *As far as I know, the .anl files are analyses files and were already
assimilated with observations.

*[2]* If you want to use the forecast, then use the files with the
following format (
https://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gfs.20210308/12/):

gfs.t12z.pgrb2.0p25.f000
<https://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gfs.20210308/12/gfs.t12z.pgrb2.0p25.f000>

gfs.t12z.pgrb2.0p25.f001
<https://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gfs.20210308/12/gfs.t12z.pgrb2.0p25.f001>

etc..

No need to download the other files!

ncl_filedump gfs.t12z.pgrb2.0p25.f000.grb will give you the contents
of the file.

If you want temperature, then look for the keyword "Temperature". This
will give u information about the variables such as below:

float TMP_P0_L102_GLL0 ( lv_AMSL1, lat_0, lon_0 )

         center :       US National Weather Service - NCEP (WMC)

         production_status :    Operational products

         long_name :    Temperature

         units :        K

         _FillValue :   1e+20

         grid_type :    Latitude/longitude

         parameter_discipline_and_category :    Meteorological
products, Temperature

         parameter_template_discipline_category_number :        ( 0, 0, 0, 0 )

         level_type :   Specific altitude above mean sea level (m)

         forecast_time :        72

         forecast_time_units :  hours

         initial_time : 03/08/2021 (00:00)

The variable name is the same for other GFS files, regardless of resolution.

*[3]* For documentation, check this:
https://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/emc/pages/numerical_forecast_systems/gfs/documentation.php

*[4] *The files are archived in rda.ucar.edu. For the 25km GFS, for
example, see this link:

https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds084.1/#!docs

Hope this helps.

--Lyndz