[ncl-talk] Scatterplot with colour indicating magnitude

Fengzhi Wu wufengzhi22 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 22:33:56 MST 2021

Dear NCL help,

I am trying to make a scatterplot with the colours of the markers
indicating a third variable whose magnitude I would like to indicate using
a colour bar.

So for example:
a = (/1,2,3,4,5/)
b=(/5,6,7,8,9/)
c = (/4,5,6,7,8/)

I would like to make an xyplot of a vs. b, and then indicate on each
coordinate the magnitude c.  So for example, the first point on the
scatterplot would. be (1,5) and then it would have a colour indicating that
it has the magnitude 4.

I tried following the following two examples, however with no success:

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/scatter_8.ncl

https://www.dkrz.de/up/de-services/de-analysis/de-vis/vis-sw/de-ncl/de-examples/de-source_code/de-dkrz-ncl-example-scatter-plot-with-two-attached-histograms

Code for such what I'm trying to do would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
FZ