[ncl-talk] Adding vector on the map projection

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 4 15:22:47 MST 2021

Hi Ivica,
I am not sure what you have in mind, but if you want to add a single vector
and keep all the scaling the same as the original vector field, would it be
possible to put your vector(s) in a gridded array?
If so, I would recommend setting the vcRefLengthF/vcRefMagnitude resources
so that the vector sizes are the same, and draw the vector field, and then
overlay the single vector.
For example:

res = True
res at gsnDraw = False
res at gsnFrame = False
res at vcRefLengthF = 0.05
res at vcRefMagnitudeF = 0.5
plot = gsn_csm_vector_map(wks,u,v,res)

u = u at _FillValue
v = v at _FillValue
u({30},{125}) = 0.75
v({30},{125}) = 0.31
oplot = gsn_csm_vector(wks,u,v,res)   ; Add single vector

overlay(plot,oplot)
draw(plot)
frame(wks)

Hope that helps!
Adam

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 8:56 PM Ivica Janeković via ncl-talk <
ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu> wrote:

> Dear users of NCL,
>
> I am plotting ROMS model results using standard
> gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map and all that is working perfectly. To
> compare model results with the observed currents I would like to
> overlay vector(s) on the map. Is there any way to add a vector on the
> map (and to be scaled as all other vectors from the map)?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ivica

Adam Phillips