[ncl-talk] stat_despersion

Buzan, Jonathan jbuzan at purdue.edu
Wed Jun 30 05:13:09 MDT 2021

NCL counts from 0 to n-1, not from 1 to n. So your loop vars need to account for that.

Cheers,
-Jonathan

On Jun 30, 2021, at 1:10 PM, ali mughal via ncl-talk <ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu<mailto:ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu>> wrote:

Dear community
Thank you very much for your helpful comments.
As an initial test, I was trying to obtain statistics at all grid points before plotting them. I used the following code
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
a=addfile("wrfout","r")
ta_mean_BEM=a->TA_MEAN
ta=ta_mean_BEM(24:719,0,:,:)
rf=ta-273.16
nlat1=rf(0,:,0)
printVarSummary(nlat)
mlon1=rf(0,0,:)
printVarSummary(mlon)
printVarSummary(rf)
opt=False

     nlStrt=0
     nlLast=129
     mlStrt=0
     mlLast=210
     nlat=dimsizes(nlat1)
     mlon=dimsizes(mlon1)

    grid_stats = new ((/nlat(0),mlon(0)/), typeof(rf), getFillValue(rf))
    printVarSummary(grid_stats)
    do nl=0,nlLast
      do ml=0,mlLast

         grid_stats(nl-nlStrt,ml-mlStrt) = stat_dispersion( rf(:,nl,ml), opt)

      end do
   end do

   copy_VarCoords(rf(:,nlStrt:nlLast,mlStrt:mlLast), grid_stats)
   grid_stats at long_name = "stat_dispersion at individual grid points"
   printVarSummary(grid_stats)

But I obtain the following output from my print statements and the errors

Variable: rf
Type: float
Total Size: 75418560 bytes
            18854640 values
Number of Dimensions: 3
Dimensions and sizes:   [696] x [129] x [210]
Coordinates:

Variable: grid_stats
Type: float
Total Size: 108360 bytes
            27090 values
Number of Dimensions: 2
Dimensions and sizes:   [129] x [210]
Coordinates:
fatal:VarVarWrite: Number of dimensions on left hand side does not match right hand side
fatal:["Execute.c":8578]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 46 in file var_Test.ncl

fatal:Subscript out of range, error in subscript #1
fatal:An error occurred reading rf
fatal:["Execute.c":8578]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 51 in file var_Test.ncl

Variable: grid_stats
Type: float
Total Size: 108360 bytes
            27090 values
Number of Dimensions: 2
Dimensions and sizes:   [129] x [210]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 1
  long_name :   stat_dispersion at individual grid points