[ncl-talk] Small issue plotting highways

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 22 16:30:49 MDT 2021

Andrew, PNG is an image format that naturally consists of a grid of
pixels.  The only pixellation that I see in your plot is the natural pixels
in the PNG format.  Your highways are mostly very fine diagonal lines.  PNG
decomposes a diagonal line into a group of small gray and black squares
(pixels) on a regularly spaced pixel grid.  When the intended line is thin
enough, it is difficult to get a clear representation on the pixel grid.
One of the possible results is apparently dashed lines like those I am
seeing.

Try making the same plot using vector graphics such as PDF, postscript
(PS), or SVG, as Rick suggested.  These vector formats preserve a true
mathematical representation of line data.  The result is clean edges and
fine lines that will not pixellate when you zoom in, when using proper
viewing software that supports true vector mode display.