[ncl-talk] Question on ncl_filedump on grib files

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Mon Jun 14 12:54:41 MDT 2021

Hi Andrew,
NCL doesn't have a built-in table that would fix this issue, but if you can
get your hands on a HRRR table that has been updated to include the newer
entries, you can load it in NCL using an environmental variable. See the
"User-defined GRIB1 parameter tables" section here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/NclFormatSupport.shtml#GRIB
(I think the instructions would apply to GRIB2 tables as well.)
More information about GRIB issues can be found on that page.
Hope that helps!
Adam

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 7:28 AM Andrew Kren - NOAA Federal via ncl-talk <
ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to extract and read HRRR smoke variables, such as fire
> radiative power, 1000 m smoke, etc. When I do an ncl_filedump on my hrrr
> grib2 file, I get the following message:
>
> warning: Entry (204) not found in code table file
> /opt/miniconda3/envs/ncl_stable/lib/ncarg/grib2_codetables/ncep/4/4.2.0.7.table
>

> I've had other errors in the past reading other grib files where ncl says
> that it cannot differentiate certain variables.
>

> My question is, is there an updated grib table that NCL has released that
> can deal with updated/newly added grib messages? Or is it best to move to
> python to deal with this issue? When I do the ncl_filedump on my hrrr file,
> there are several variables which simply say:
>

> float VAR_0_16_201_P0_L10_GLC0 ( ygrid_0, xgrid_0 )
>
>          center :       US National Weather Service - NCEP (WMC)
>
>          production_status :    Operational products
>
>          long_name :    unknown variable name
>
>          units :        unknown
>
>          _FillValue :   1e+20
>
>          coordinates :  gridlat_0 gridlon_0
>
>          grid_type :    Lambert Conformal can be secant or tangent,
> conical or bipolar
>
>          parameter_discipline_and_category :    Meteorological products,
> Forecast radar imagery
>
>          parameter_template_discipline_category_number :        ( 0, 0,
> 16, 201 )
>
>          level_type :   Entire Atmosphere
>
>          level :         0
>
>          forecast_time :        1