[ncl-talk] Giant Panel plot

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 10 17:02:30 MDT 2021

Hi Jonathan,
If you have not already I would suggest you take a look at the Panel
applications page here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml
That page runs through the various ways to modify panel plots and is quite
helpful. I refer to it often.

By default NCL will look at the size of the first plot, and apply that plot
spacing to every other paneled plot. Your first plot is missing, so I'm not
sure if in this case NCL switches to looking at the 2nd plot for a
reference sizing, but I'd try setting gsnPanelScalePlotIndex = 2.
See example 24 here: https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml#ex24

You can set gsnPanelYWhiteSpacePercent = 3.0 as a first try to increase the
vertical spacing between the rows of plots as is shown in example 6 here:
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml#ex6

Finally, you can overrule all set placements of the panels by using the
information returned from gsnPanelDebug and set gsnPanelXF/YF as is shown
here:
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml#ex19

<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml#ex19>
Hope that helps!
Adam

<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml#ex19>

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 9:35 AM Buzan, Jonathan Robert via ncl-talk <
ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi NCL-Talk,
>
> I am attempting to make a panel plot with many panels.
> However, I’m having troubles with labels, etc. For example, my titles are
> interfering with my contours. If I turn off the color bar, the titles are
> placed into the panel above them, and like the picture below, the top row’s
> titles are cut off.
>
> I’m not sure exactly how to fix this. Perhaps there’s some insight?
>
> Cheers,
> -Jonathan

Adam Phillips