[ncl-talk] passing args within ncl scripts

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 22 12:11:31 MDT 2021

Jayant,

1.  Binary vs. netcdf?  No, use netcdf, not binary, for intermediate
files.  Netcdf makes it easier to track complicated data, manipulate
arrays, debug, reduce a variety of programming mistakes, and add metadata.
The performance difference is negligible.

2.  Submit script?  If you are on a shared batch system, you should use a
single submit script for the main NCL driver script, to avoid overloading
your interactive login node.  That is probably your system policy.  Be sure
to request a sufficient number of cores for the subprocesses, plus one
extra for the driver process.

I suggest a simple test with a small number of subprocesses, to prove that
you can launch parallel subprocesses and write independent netcdf files.
Get this part working, and demonstrate that it is saving time, before
worrying about the collection phase.

I think status <defunct> simply means that a subprocess has completed.
Look for valid intermediate files to verify that the subprocesses are
working correctly.