[ncl-talk] Computing daily minimum and maximum temperatures from WRF output

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 21 14:29:45 MDT 2021

The following was inadvertently not posted to ncl-talk:

*calculate_daily_values*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/calculate_daily_values.shtml>
will
return the daily minimum of each day's input values.
It should work for any grid. For 24 hourly values, it will return the min
value.
===
As noted in the function's documentation, the

*Climate Data Operators (CDO)* <https://code.zmaw.de/projects/cdo>
operators will process all variables on the file. For example:

       *cdo daymean* foo_hourly.nc  foo_daily_mean.nc
       *cdo daymin * foo_hourly.nc  foo_daily_min.nc
       *cdo daymax * foo_hourly.nc  foo_daily_max.nc
       *cdo daysum * foo_hourly.nc  foo_daily_sum.nc

===
NCL also offers: *calculate_segment_values*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/calculate_segment_values.shtml>
Calculate segment (eg, pentad [5-day], weekly [7-day]) values from
high frequency temporal values.