[ncl-talk] resources issue

Rashed Mahmood rashidcomsis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 03:20:51 MDT 2021

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here. Did you try to test
this? What does your plot look like?
Since I do not have your data file so I used dummy data to test the plot
using your resources. See attached plot and the script, there is no problem
with triangle edges.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 7:55 AM ali mughal <mughalali655 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> On Wednesday, July 14, 2021, Rashed Mahmood <rashidcomsis at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ali,
>> You are defining the "cmap_data" after calling "contour_lh =
>> gsn_csm_contour(wks,lh_avg,res) " so this would not work. You can move
>> contour_lh* after your final res settings. Normally I prefer using
>> something  like:
>>
>> res at cnFillPalette = cmap_data(0:dimsizes(levels)-1,:)
>> contour_lh        = gsn_csm_contour(wks,lh_avg,res)
>>
>> There are some resources which are likely not needed for example (res at cnFillColors, res at lbLabelStrings).
>>
>> I am not sure why triangle edges do not work but this can be easily tested by only plotting contour_lh (i.e. without calling overlays).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rashed
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 4:42 PM ali mughal via ncl-talk <
>> ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear NCL users
>>>
>>> I am trying to using the following plotting sequence but some of the
>>> resources do not change no matter how hard I try. I mention the issues I am
>>> facing adjacent to the lines in the script. Secondly, I am also trying to
>>> obtain triangular edges in the label bar but I am not successful in that as
>>> well. I hope some one can help. Please see the plotting sequence below
>>>
>>> lh_avg at description = "ABC"
>>> lh_avg at units = "~S~o~N~C"
>>> type = "png"
>>> wks = gsn_open_wks(type,"LH_d05_diff_3_1_"+hour)
>>>
>>> res                          = True
>>> res at gsnMaximize              = True
>>> res at gsnDraw                  = False
>>> res at gsnFrame                 = False
>>> res at cnFillOn                 = True
>>> res at cnLinesOn                = False
>>> res at tmYROn                   = False
>>> res at lbOrientation            = "Vertical"
>>> res at lbLabelFontHeightF       = 0.010
>>> res at lbLabelFontThicknessF    =1.5
>>> res at lbBoxMajorExtentF        = 0.75
>>> res at lbBoxEndCapStyle         = "TriangleBothEnds"              (why is
>>> this not working ? Do I need to add other resources or turn off automatic
>>> settings)
>>> contour_lh                   = gsn_csm_contour(wks,lh_avg,res)
>>> getvalues contour_lh
>>>   "cnLevels" : levels
>>> end getvalues
>>> cmap_data=read_colormap_file("wgne15")             (Whatever I set here
>>> is not shown in the final plot. I tried setting this to "BlWhRe" but it
>>> didn't worked nor does "ncl_default" work. I only see a default image
>>> res at cnFillColors         = cmap_data(0:dimsizes(levels)-1,:)
>>> res at lbLabelStrings       = sprintf("%3.1f",levels)
>>>
>>> pltres = True
>>> pltres at NoTitles = True
>>> pltres at gsnMaximize = True
>>> pltres at FramePlot = False
>>> pltres at PanelPlot = True
>>> mpres            = True
>>> mpres at mpOutlineBoundarySets    ="NoBoundaries"
>>> plot = wrf_map_overlays(a,wks,(/contour_lh/),pltres,mpres)
>>> shape_files =
>>> (/"/Shapefiles/SGP_adm_shp/SGP_adm0.shp","/Shapefiles/MYS_adm0.shp","/Shapefiles/IDN_adm0.shp"/)
>>> plot = add_coastline_sgmyid(shape_files,wks,plot,"black")
>>> draw(plot)