[ncl-talk] calculating gradients in ocean areas with land

Sam McClatchie smcclatchie at fishocean.info
Wed Jan 20 01:35:45 MST 2021

Colleagues

I have a general question where I suspect the answer is "no".

Problem:

I would like to calculate temperature gradients from satellite measured
SST in ocean areas around a land mass (see <http://u.pc.cd/K62rtalK> for
a plot of the SST data). The SST data matrix has missing values. Using
the landsea_mask and mask functions, I have confirmed that the missing
data (data at _FillValue) are at grid points over land. If I remove the
missing values, I destroy the regular grid.

Question: Does NCL have a function for calculating gradients in ocean
areas with land? Or are the various functions designed to calculate
gradients in the atmosphere?

Best fishes

Sam

--
email signature Sam McClatchie (fisheries oceanographer)
& Elena Turin (accounting & auditing)

“The three great elemental sounds in nature are the sound of rain,
the sound of wind in a primeval wood, and the sound of outer ocean on a
beach.
I have heard them all, and of the three elemental voices,
that of ocean is the most awesome, beautiful and varied.”

― Henry Beston, The Outermost House: A Year of Life on the Great Beach
of Cape Cod