[ncl-talk] Running NCL script from shell script

Brian Thomas brian.thomas at washburn.edu
Thu Apr 22 14:15:15 MDT 2021

Not certain, but I think your problem is the quotes around your variable name here:
echo "$mname"

Shouldn't have " " to make it echo out the contents of $mname

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 14:26:03 +0900
From: Bidyut Bikash Goswami <bidyut at yonsei.ac.kr<mailto:bidyut at yonsei.ac.kr>>
To: ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu<mailto:ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu>
Subject: [ncl-talk] Running NCL script from shell script

Hello All,

I am trying to run my ncl script from the following shell script:

#!/bash/bin
for i in {1..2}
do
echo $i
ncl myfile.ncl
done

Runs perfectly fine =>
[bidyut at localhost<mailto:bidyut at localhost>]$ sh test.sh<http://test.sh/>
1
Copyright (C) 1995-2017 - All Rights Reserved
NCAR Command Language Version 6.4.0
The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
(0) Hello
2
Copyright (C) 1995-2017 - All Rights Reserved
NCAR Command Language Version 6.4.0
The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
(0) Hello

But if I try to run:

#!/bash/bin
cat myfile| while read mname
do
echo "$mname"
echo "Running the NCL script"
ncl myfile.ncl
done

I get an error=>
[bidyut at localhost<mailto:bidyut at localhost>]$ sh test1.sh<http://test1.sh/>
name1
Running the NCL script
Copyright (C) 1995-2017 - All Rights Reserved
NCAR Command Language Version 6.4.0
The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
(0) Hello
fatal:syntax error: line -1 before or near \n
name2
-----^

fatal:error in statement

What am I doing wrong?

FYI, Here are the associated file contents:
[bidyut at localhost<mailto:bidyut at localhost>]$ cat myfile
name1
name2

[bidyut at localhost<mailto:bidyut at localhost>]$ cat myfile.ncl
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"

begin

print("Hello")

end

Thanks,