[ncl-talk] Updating NetCDF File frame by frame vs all at once

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 22 10:24:10 MDT 2021

Hi Joe,
I think what is happening is that when you use this coding:
  wrfpost = addfile(dir_out+file_out,"c")    ;create new netCDF file
do n = 0, nTime-1
     print(n)
     wrfpost->slp(n,:,:)=(/wrf_user_getvar(wrfout,"slp",n)/)    <- Errors
out
 end do

the slp array is not preallocated space on the output .nc file, so NCL
doesn't know to write the entire 3D slp array the first time you write to
the slp array. The possible way around this is to create the .nc file the
efficient way in NCL, where arrays are preallocated. See method #2 here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/write_netcdf.shtml

<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/write_netcdf.shtml>
I have not created a .nc file this way, writing partially to an array like
what I am proposing you do, but I do not see any reason why it wouldn't
work. As your script is rather long, I would recommend trying a write and
run a short test script attempting to do this offline, before implementing
it into your script.
Hope that helps!
Adam

Adam Phillips