[ncl-talk] SSP interpolation

Buzan, Jonathan jbuzan at purdue.edu
Wed Apr 21 08:27:15 MDT 2021

Hi NCL-Talk,

I am working with SSP files. They are incomplete 1km x 1km lat-lon grids (aka the omit high latitudes), with missing/fill values over oceans. The population data is absolutes, not density per area. All of this makes it hard to interpolate to a low resolution grid approximate to CMIP data (aka 100 km x 100 km).

I was thinking that I would divide each grid cell by the area to get a density value, then interpolate that to 1°x1° grid. But, I am having trouble finding a NCL function that will calculate the area of a grid cell.

Is there one?

Cheers,
-Jonathan