[ncl-talk] plotting with ncl - longitude mismatch

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Wed Apr 7 10:09:56 MDT 2021

Hi Jayant,
The GrADS control file indicates that the longitudes start at 0 and have an
increment of 0.9375.  NCL's lonGlobeFo function will create a longitude
array that is offset from the Prime Meridian. If you switch the call to
lonGlobeF I think the longitude array will be set up correctly. That being
said, this is a small fix to the longitudes and does not explain a 30
degree shift in your plotting script. Are you getting any error messages
from either NCL or GrADS? Your GrADS ctl file indicates that it is set up
to read a file with multiple levels, but your NCL script seems to indicate
that there are not multiple levels in the binary file, and each record is a
different time step? Make sure you are analyzing the same level and time
step between the two software packages. Other than that, I do not know what
to suggest. Others might have better suggestions.
Hope that helps!
Adam

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 9:00 PM Jayant via ncl-talk <
ncl-talk at mailman.ucar.edu> wrote:

> I am reading our model simulated gridded binary file in NCL. Please take a
> look at the two attached precipitation plots.The one using NCL shows a
> shift (in longitude) in the precipitation features compared to the one
> plotted using GrADS. Why there appears to be a mismatch? Am I overlooking
> something? The ctl file and the ncl script is also attached.

Adam Phillips