[ncl-talk] CAPE computation in NCL: more info on (1) entrainment, (2) adiabatic, (3) environment, (4) computation process, and (5) choice of the parcel with maximum CAPE for mCAPE

Maxime Colin m.colin at unsw.edu.au
Wed Sep 23 01:13:01 MDT 2020

Dear community,

I'm coming back to the below CAPE question since I would be keen to know more on this. Is there anyone I could write to in order to have more information?

To understand the ins and outs of the CAPE computed by NCL's wrf_user_getvar out of my WRF simulations, I would like to have a reliable source of information on this computation. Note that I use NCL v6.4.0.

For example:

- Is this CAPE the integrated buoyancy of non-entraining and pseudo-adiabatic parcels? Or does it take into account entrainment and non-adiabatic transformations?

- Would anybody know by any chance if the "environment" that is considered by the code to compute CAPE is actually the same column as the one from which the parcel was raised, or it is the neighbouring columns?

I can read some basic but useful information on the NCL website (https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wrf_cape_2d.shtml). There is also some info on the RIP code from the UCAR website (http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/mm5/documents/ripug_V4.html). Are these sources accurate?

There seems to be a disagreement between these 2 sources at least: the NCL website claims that the mCAPE is computed from the parcel with maximum Theta_e (equivalent potential temperature, I assume) but the RIP User guide on the UCAR webiste says mCAPE is computed from the parcel with maximum q_e (water vapour mixing ratio, I assume). This is quite different, no? Does anyone know what is actually used in NCL v.6.4.0.

I was also sent a version of the rip_cape.f code but would be keen to have a discussion on this.

Other related questions:

- What does the average over 500m depth, used to define a parcel, mean for air that is very close to the surface (say first model level at 15m)?

- Is it accurate that mCAPE is calculated as the CAPE of the parcel with maximum of q_e (or theta_e) only over the lowest 3km of the column? (that should not be too restrictive I think)

Thank you for those who have already investigated this in more details and who are happy to share their knowledge.

All the best,

Maxime.

Maxime Colin
Research Associate
Climate Change Research Centre
University of New South Wales, Australia
http://www.ccrc.unsw.edu.au/ccrc-team/students/maxime-colin
http://www.climatescience.org.au/staff/profile/mcolin
+61 (0)421 620 779    /    +33 (0)6 25 57 81 93
m.colin at unsw.edu.au    /     colinmaxime at hotmail.fr<https://www.normalesup.org/phare/squirrelmail/src/compose.php?send_to=maxime.colin%40normalesup.org>