[ncl-talk] How to keep PC orthogonal in REOF?

杨显轲 yangxianke at mail.iap.ac.cn
Sat Sep 19 06:34:51 MDT 2020

Hello ncl-users,

   I would like to ask whether it is possible to keep PC orthogonal in REOF. As we known, both the spatial mode and the PC remain orthogonal in EOF. When using eofunc_varimax_Wrap in NCL for monthly Equatorial central and eastern pacific SST, the spatial mode and PC are not orthogonal, and the correlation coefficient of PC1 and PC2 can reach 0.9.

   I want to keep PC orthogonal in Reof, and the spatial modes can be non-orthogonal, can this be achieved in NCL?

Thanks! All the best!

Xianke Yang