[ncl-talk] Figures appear without shading

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Mon Jul 20 18:06:23 MDT 2020

Hi Alan,

Yes, I think the issue is indeed with your Ubuntu installation. The script
works fine for me. Some Ubuntu packages in the past have placed NCL's
supporting files, such as colormaps, under /usr/share/ncl. Generally NCL
expects to find those files under $NCARG_ROOT/lib.

So, what is the value of NCARG_ROOT, and is there indeed a directory
/usr/share/ncl ?

If it's easy to uninstall the Ubuntu version, perhaps you might do that and
reinstall using conda or one of the precompiled binaries:

   http://ncl.ucar.edu/Download/

Hope that helps...
Rick