[ncl-talk] Effective Degree of Freedom

dickson mbigi dickson.mbigi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 17:25:59 MST 2020

Hi everyone,
I have sst(time) and pre(lon,lat,time) low pass filtered data sets. I can
calculate spatial correlation, but for the significance test   using
Student's t- test I need to use effective degrees of freedom because  my
data have been filtered. I went through NCL website and found ''equivalent
sample size'' function which I think is quite different from the effective
degrees of freedom. Is there a function or a way to use Effective Degree of
freedom to perform significance tests in spatial correlation analysis?

Ndof =N(1-r1r2)/(1+r1r2), where N is sample size, r1&r2 are the lag-1
autocorrelations of the two time series.

Thanks in advance.
Dickson.