[ncl-install] NCL Reinstallation after Win10 update boot sector corruption

jimschiavone at gmail.com jimschiavone at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 12:39:31 MST 2021

Hi,

I will provide my questions at the top here, then provide background
information:

*	Which NCL version do you recommend for my reinstallation?

*	ncl_ncarg-6.6.2-Debian7.11_64bit_gnu472.tar.gz which is cited on the
Win10 NCL instructions web page or
*	ncl_ncarg-6.6.2-Debian9.8_64bit_gnu630.tar.gz which is the latest
available on Climate Data Gateway?

*	Will my collection of existing NCL scripts work on my NCL
reinstallation, given that they were all created using:

*	ncl_ncarg-6.4.0-Debian8.6_64bit_gnu492.tar.gz

*	Can I simply copy the appropriate one of the above files to my root
directory via my Linux shell and run the tar command from there, rather than
"Open[ing] a browser window from the Linux shell" as instructed on your web
page?

I had been running NCL flawlessly since installation on a new ThinkPad P71
in June 13, 2018 (see email exchange with Kevin Hallock attached). I use it
mainly to analyze and visualize WRF NetCDF and NEXRAD radar data. Microsoft
pushed a Win10 update on January 16, 2021 which corrupted my boot sector,
Win10 had to be reinstalled afresh, and all my software packages had to be
reinstalled, including the Linux bash shell and NCL.

I have now reached the "Download NCL" step on your web page and I want to
make sure that I use the appropriate version that will work with (a) my
existing code collection and (b) my newly installed Linux distribution
Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS.

Thanks for your guidance!

Jim Schiavone