[ncl-install] RANGS & GSHHS when installing NCL via Conda

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Wed Apr 22 11:34:36 MDT 2020

Hi Luis,

If you have an “ncl_stable” conda environment and have run “conda activate ncl_stable”, then the NCARG_ROOT environment variable should theoretically already be set to the path of your conda environment (please run “echo $NCARG_ROOT” to verify this), and creating a directory $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/database/rangs containing the coastline databases should work. Please see our documentation for detailed instructions: https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/rangs.shtml <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/rangs.shtml>

Alternatively, you could create a “rangs” directory somewhere else on your computer containing the necessary files and then set the NCARG_RANGS environment variable to point to that directory (ideally in ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc, or the appropriate config file for your shell environment so that you don’t have to set this variable every time you open a new terminal window). A major benefit of this method would be that you could delete and recreate the “ncl_stable” conda environment and still have access to the RANGS and GSHHS coastlines without needing to redownload/reinstall them.

I hope this helps!
Kevin