[ncl-install] dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libgfortran.4.dylib

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 14 09:32:12 MDT 2019

Hi Chang,

Which method are you using to install NCL? Are you using a binary release from our website <https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/dataset/ncl.662.dap/file.html> or are you using conda <http://ncl.ucar.edu/Download/conda.shtml>?

The “ncl_ncarg-6.6.2-MacOS_10.14_64bit_gnu730.tar.gz” download from our website was built using libgfortran.4.dylib, specifically the gfortran-7.3-bin.tar.gz download on this page: http://hpc.sourceforge.net/ <http://hpc.sourceforge.net/>

If you would prefer to not install an older version of gfortran on your machine, you could try installing NCL using conda, which will install any dependency libraries (including libgfortran) it needs automatically.

I hope this helps,
Kevin