[ncl-install] Regarding ncfile data visualiation

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Wed Apr 18 19:05:38 MDT 2018

Hi Vijay,

The two commands you provided were:

$ ncl filename.ncl

and:

ncl 0> ncl uv300.ncl

The first command looks like it is being run in a shell (sh/bash/csh/ksh) environment based on the “$” prompt, while the second command appears to be running in the NCL interactive environment as indicated by the “ncl 0>” prompt. The first command should work if the file “filename.ncl” exists. The second command is actually running in an NCL environment and is not valid NCL code, which is why you received the “fatal:syntax error”.

Was there any output when you tried running “ncl filename.ncl” in your shell environment?

As a new NCL user, you might find some useful information in the NCL User Guide <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/NCL_User_Guide/>.

I hope this helps!
Kevin