[ncl-install] ncl installation

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 21 08:38:10 MDT 2014

Chao,

This is not an NCL issue, but rather a DISPLAY environment variable issue.

In general, your DISPLAY environment variable should be set for you
automatically, so I'm not sure why it is not being set here.

Some information about this can be found on our downloads page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml#SetDISPLAY

For example, on my Mac, it is set to:

% env | grep DISPLAY
DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-0T2wOc/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

This setting will not work for you, but I just wanted to point out what it
potentially should look like.

Also, do you have XQuartz installed on your Mac? I believe the Mac will ask
you if you want this installed the first time you try to execute an X11
application.

--Mary