[ncl-install] ncl in cygwin/X

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 4 09:16:03 MDT 2013

[Tongli and I have been working on this offline.]

Usually when "ncl" just returns from the Cygwin prompt without any errors or action, this means that the version of Cygwin is old.

The V6.1.2 Cygwin binary was compiled under Cygwin 2.738. If "2.189" is indeed the Cygwin version that you have, then this is too old.

You need to download the latest "setup.exe" from http://x.cygwin.com/ and then run this new setup.exe to install a newer version of Cygwin.

--Mary