[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #97919] History for madis2nc and point_stat

Minna Win via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 18 10:03:04 MDT 2021

I'm a new user to MET (v.9.0.3 on Cheyenne) and I'm trying to verify a WRF
simulation against some MADIS metar observations. I have two questions
about the madis2nc function and the point_stat function, if you could help
please?

*madis2nc*

When I run the command “madis2nc madis_20171001.nc out.nc -type metar -v 2” it
executes with the following message:

DEBUG 1: Reading MADIS File: madis_20171001.nc

DEBUG 2: Processing METAR recs = -9999

DEBUG 2: Rejected recs based on masking grid = 0

DEBUG 2: Rejected recs based on masking poly = 0

DEBUG 2: Rejected recs based on masking station ID's = 0

DEBUG 2: Rejected obs based on fill value = 0

DEBUG 2: Rejected obs based on quality control = 0

DEBUG 2: Total observations retained or derived = 0

DEBUG 1: Writing MET File: out.nc

However, the output file out.nc is empty (except for some metadata). I
tried running the same command on a different MADIS file that I took from
Cheyenne (
/glade/p/ral/jntp/MET/MET_Tutorial/8.0/MET_Tutorial/input/sample_obs/madis/metar/metar_2012040912_F000.nc)
and
got the below message:

DEBUG 1: Reading MADIS File: metar_2012040912_F000.nc

DEBUG 2: Processing METAR recs = 9044

DEBUG 2: Rejected recs based on masking grid = 0

DEBUG 2: Rejected recs based on masking poly = 0

DEBUG 2: Rejected recs based on masking station ID's = 0

DEBUG 2: Rejected obs based on fill value = 79932

DEBUG 2: Rejected obs based on quality control = 0

DEBUG 2: Total observations retained or derived = 64060

DEBUG 1: Writing MET File: out.nc

I noticed the difference in the  "Processing METAR recs” line: can you
advise what that means? I've attached the output from running ncdump -h for
each input file, if it helps.

*point_stat*

When I get to running point_stat with my WRF output file, do I need to do
any reformatting first? (e.g. does it matter if I use GRIB vs NetCDF, will
I need to regrid from my Lambert projection to a lat-lon grid?).

Thanks very much for any help!

Best Regards,

Callum Thompson

--