[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #100271] History for indexing multiple dimensions of GRIB input

Minna Win via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 22 11:01:05 MDT 2021

I have a question about configuring forecast field levels for particular
GridStat use cases.  The task is to generate continuous statistics and I'd
like to specify the input levels of the forecast field, which I have stored
as a GRIB file, but I'm having problems using the conventional "P850"
values as recommended in the online documentation.

The input data have four dimensions: step (1 month, 2 month, 3 month ...),
isobaric hPa level (1000, 500, ...), lats and lons.  When I specify the
pressure level (e.g., level="P850") MET finds several matching fields, each
a different lead time, or "step," and incorrectly chooses the first field.
As an alternative, I'd like to specify the field by indexing the step and
pressure level dimensions [e.g., "(0,0,*,*)"], but to do that, it seems
that I need to be using netCDF instead.  Is there a similar method for
specifying multiple dimensions if the input I'm using is a GRIB file?

I can provide more information about the relevant input data, logs, or
config files if needed.

Best,
-Marcel

--