[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #100324] History for MET update and questions

George McCabe via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Jul 19 09:35:13 MDT 2021

Hi all,
I used MET/metpy to calculate the moist static energy for the Dorian (2019)
use-case.  MSE may be a very useful metric in general that others may like
to try (as applied in the papers listed below).  In the case of Dorian, MSE
may have had some bearing in the development of rainfall over the NE.
https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/atsc/71/11/jas-d-14-0052.1.xml
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2019GL083667
https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/clim/32/18/jcli-d-18-0599.1.xml

I have a couple of questions regarding MET.  First, for the series
analysis, do I really need to run a separate python script for each
diagnostic?  This looks to be the case by default when looking at PV and
IVT, in which each script outputs only one variable for MET to then read.
Can I combine multiple scripts into one that outputs multiple variables?

Second, is it possible for MET to read-in variables directly from wrfout
netcdf files?  For example, say I have PBL height or other model variables
on model sigma levels.  Would MET know how to read these when specified in
the config files?  My understanding is that MET is particular when it comes
to the level specified.  It can handle pressure levels ("PXXX"), but what
about sigma levels ("???")?  Thank you.

-Nick