[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #100255] History for reliability calculation

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 14 10:32:38 MDT 2021

I was trying to use ensemble forecasts and satellite obs. to make a
reliability plot (see attachment 1).  The plot indicates that no matter
what the forecast frequency is, the observed frequency is near 1. But
actually I see lots of 'misses' - areas where the model has ash but the
observations don't. I have 31 members (no missing file). I think the way
that MET use to calculate the probability is "ONLY if all the ensemble
members have overlap with the grid that obs, exist,  then it will be
counted as forecast "catch" the observation", is that correct? Which means
if one grid was caught only by 30 members, the grid will be treaded as
missed by the forecast

The plot I got using MET/METviewer (attachment 1) is much different than
using python (see attachment 2), and here is the way that was used:
For the reliability curve, at each point, I count how many ensemble members
are above the threshold. That number determines the x bin value. So if I
use the 31 bins and 20 members are above threshold, then I am in the 20th
bin/x value. Then I see if the obs is above threshold. If it is, then a 1
goes into that bin. If it isn't then a 0 goes into that bin.

After I have gone through all the points, to get the y values I sum the
values in the bins and divide by the total number of them to get the
fraction observed.

So can I use the similar way in MET? I mean to calculate probability
without using all ensemble members?  I did set "vld_thresh = 0.1" in my
config file.

Here is the ensemble config file that I use:

/gpfs/dell2/emc/modeling/noscrub/Binyu.Wang/MET/grid2grid/verf_met_ens/parm/
verf_g2g_ens_stat_regn_config_Bezy.vld_thresh.0p5

My obs:

/gpfs/dell2/emc/modeling/noscrub/Binyu.Wang/Download/Bezymianny/Satellite/From_Alice_regridM/Hourly_mean/

My forecast:

/gpfs/dell2/emc/modeling/noscrub/Binyu.Wang/MET/Hysplit/Bezy/Res_0p1/DIFF.EMIS

Thank you.