[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #100317] History for Verifying hail size with gridded data and SPC hail report point obs

John Opatz via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 13 11:32:08 MDT 2021

Hello met_help,

I’m trying to do something non-standard with MET and I’m wondering if it’s possible at all. For this thought experiment, what I’d like to do is take a 2D output grid of hailsize values, generated from our model, and compare this gridded data with the hail “point obs” from an SPC local storm report. The gridded data is daily, and I picked a day where the SPC hail size obs fit within the gridded data time period (daily; 6z to 6z). I’m trying to use the point_stat tool to generate statistics like false alarm rate, bias, etc.

For the gridded hail size data, an ncdump looks like this:

netcdf regridded {

dimensions:

       lon = 7001 ;

       lat = 3501 ;

variables:

       double lon(lon) ;

              lon:standard_name = "longitude" ;

              lon:long_name = "longitude" ;

              lon:units = "degrees_east" ;

              lon:axis = "X" ;

       double lat(lat) ;

              lat:standard_name = "latitude" ;

              lat:long_name = "latitude" ;

              lat:units = "degrees_north" ;

              lat:axis = "Y" ;

       double hyhailsize(lat, lon) ;

              hyhailsize:long_name = "hyhailsize" ;

              hyhailsize:units = "mm" ;

              hyhailsize:_FillValue = -9999. ;

              hyhailsize:missing_value = -9999. ;

// global attributes:

              :CDI = "Climate Data Interface version 1.9.9 (https://mpimet.mpg.de/cdi)" ;

              :Conventions = "CF-1.7" ;

              :agg_file_count = 287 ;

              :first_volume_end_time = "2021-06-19T06:02:55Z" ;

              :first_volume_start_time = "2021-06-19T05:57:12Z" ;

              :minimum_file_age = "2021-06-19T05:57:12Z" ;

              :maximum_file_age = "2021-06-20T06:00:47Z" ;

              :aggregation_valid_time = "2021-06-20T05:40:50Z" ;

              :last_volume_start_time = "2021-06-20T06:00:47Z" ;

              :last_volume_end_time = "2021-06-20T06:03:37Z" ;

              :history = "Wed Jun 23 15:58:13 2021: cdo remapnn,/Users/billladwig/Documents/code/git/ep-week-achilles/bladwig/src/epweek_met/config/regrid/conus.conf -selvar,hyhailsize /Users/billladwig/Documents/code/git/ep-week-achilles/bladwig/data/nrt/timeagg/20210619/hyhailsize_conus_2021-06-19T06_00_00Z_to_2021-06-20T06_00_00Z.nc /Users/billladwig/Documents/code/git/ep-week-achilles/bladwig/data/nrt/regridded/20210619/regridded.nc" ;

              :CDO = "Climate Data Operators version 1.9.9 (https://mpimet.mpg.de/cdo)" ;

}

Assuming it is possible to do this, I’m not quite sure how to handle the SPC hail observations. Attached is the ASCII Point Observation Format file that I’m feeding in to the ASCII2NC tool, which produces a NetCDF file (the column values in the csv file may be incorrect and I can change that as needed).

Also attached is my first attempt at a configuration file, so it’s not right. The part that isn’t clear to me is how to set up the ASCII2NC NetCDF obs file to be treated like “point obs” compared against the grid.  I’m not sure what to use for the “level” section, since the output from ASCII2NC is 1D variables. In the attached config, errors are thrown for not being able to parse the level. If I leave the “obs” section out of the file, I get errors indicating that I need the same number of field entries as “fcst” section.

Any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bill Ladwig

This email is intended solely for the recipient. It may contain privileged, proprietary or confidential information or material. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email and any attachments and notify the sender of the error.