[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #99760] History for inquire about using METplus to do the TC verification

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Jul 12 11:25:45 MDT 2021

I have a few questions regarding the METplus usage on TC. Here is my steps
to do the verification on Eta (AL292020).

Step 1:
Firstly I used tc_pairs and Rscript to do the TC verification and plotting,
e.g.: intensity error and track error. 1. modify TCPairsConfig_default, and
output tc_pairs.tcst; 2. modify plot_tcmpr_config.R, use the output of
tc_pairs to plot the figures.

Step 2:
Then I tried to use METplus to repeat the above work based on the
instruction
https://dtcenter.org/metplus-practical-session-guide-july-2019/session-5-trkintfeature-relative/use-case-track-intensity
1. create a conf file to overwrite the default setting such as [dir]
2. modify Plotter_fcstGFS_obsGFS_Rplotting.conf to do the plotting.

For your reference, here is the files and directions on Jet:
*---------------
*$CONFIG*
:/mnt/lfs4/HFIP/hwrfv3/Yan.Jin/Verification/METplus/parm/user_config
*new Plotter METplus conf:* Plotter_Eta292020.conf
*new METplus config*: Eta292020_track_intensity*.conf*
*tc_pairs config:*
/mnt/lfs4/HFIP/hwrfv3/Yan.Jin/Verification/Eta_292020/TCPairsConfig_run1
*Plotter config*
: /mnt/lfs4/HFIP/hwrfv3/Yan.Jin/Verification/Eta_292020/plot_tcmpr_config_Eta292020_run1.R

The test data has only one case.
*The adeck data*
: /mnt/lfs4/HFIP/hwrfv3/Yan.Jin/Verification/data/aal292020.dat
*The bdeck data*
: /mnt/lfs4/HFIP/hwrf-data/hwrf-input/abdeck/btk/bal292020.dat
*--------------------
Then run: master_metplus.py -c Plotter_Eta292020.conf -c
Eta292020_track_intensity.conf

My plan is to firstly use tc_pairs and Rscript to do the work, then use
METplus to wrap tc_pairs and Rscript. I used the same tc_pairs config file,
and modified TCMPR_PLOTTER_* items to make them the same as the settings in
Plotter config which I used in Step 1. Then I modified the input files,
TC_PAIRS_ADECK_INPUT_DIR
TC_PAIRS_BDECK_INPUT_DIR
TC_PAIRS_ADECK_TEMPLATE
(since I only have 1 case, I do not need the template, I just put the file
name)

FCST_EXTRACT_TILES_INPUT_TEMPLATE
OBS_EXTRACT_TILES_INPUT_TEMPLATE
(I am not sure what do these two files mean)

I wonder if my understanding is correct. Also I always get error messages
which indicates errors in python code. Could you give me some suggestions?
Based on your experience, normally what kind of verification work is mostly
done for TC? and which approach is more convenient? i.e.: tc_pairs and
Rscript v.s. METplus.

Many thanks.
Best,
Yan