[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #98697] History for METplus series_analysis wrapper cycling question

George McCabe via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 17 09:59:49 MST 2021

we would like to get series_analysis to work with the following files.
Each forecast file INDs4k is named by forecast initialisation date/time and has 24 hourly lead times in the file (spanning the following 24h). The accompanying IITM file is named in exactly the same way and has 24 hourly fields to match the forecast file precisely. Side-by-side each INDs4k and IITM file with the same date/time is perfectly matched up.

In the first instance we used the "(11,*,*)" level specifier in the MET config file to extract the t+12h forecast (valid at 12Z) with the intention of computing a spatial map of contingency-based scores for t+12h for multiple forecasts (which are in separate files). I managed to get this to work fine for a single file in a standalone MET run.

The next step was to try with the wrapper. We can't get the cycling to work correctly. It either seems to cycle but not change the date (using INIT), or just fall over with a key error complaining about the valid_fmt string.

Could you advise on how to set up the INIT vs VALID vs LEAD and how to match up the format strings? I think we're getting ourselves in a tangle because we have to relearn what these terms mean... (we think they mean something different and are just getting confused. Generally our data provision would NOT look like this. The observations would be separate files... Perhaps this IS causing the problem because you wouldn't necessarily consider searching for a lead time in the observation file!

Thanks
Marion

--
Dr Marion Mittermaier     Manager: Model diagnostics and novel verification

Met Office   FitzRoy Road   Exeter   EX1 3PB   United Kingdom
Tel:  +44 (0) 330 135 1604
E-mail: marion.mittermaier at metoffice.gov.uk<mailto:marion.mittermaier at metoffice.gov.uk>  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk<http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/>

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/people/marion-mittermaier

Associate Editor for 2021: Monthly Weather Review<https://www.ametsoc.org/index.cfm/ams/publications/journals/monthly-weather-review/>