[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #100229] History for Question about RMSE in MET

George McCabe via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 18 09:02:33 MDT 2021

I'm wondering if the RMSE as it is currently calculated in MET is centered
(as, for example, the Anomaly Correlation Coefficient is centered) or if
the centered RMSE can be derived using other MET statistics? If not, would
it be possible to include a centered version of the RMSE among the
continuous statistics offered?

I would find it useful to create versions of the Taylor Diagram–for
example, one that displays the centered Anomaly Correlation Coefficient–and
these versions would require either the centered RMSE or the standard
deviations of both the forecast and observed anomalies.  Admittedly I
haven't seen the centered RMSE used in applications other than Taylor
Diagrams.

For context, I'm using MET v9.0.2 and METplus v3.0.2

Best,
-Marcel

--
*Marcel G. Caron*