[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #100988] History for Some confusion about the file format for input MET

George McCabe via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 18 08:57:39 MDT 2021

Dear met_help,

My name is Zhibo Gao, a PhD student from Beijing Normal University and also a MET user. I am very glad to write to you. First of all, thank you for developing such a great tool! When I use this tool, I encounter some confusion, I would appreciate if you could help me.

I currently get a forecasted two-dimensional precipitation field named rain_forecast ([lat | 87] x [time | 123]), correspondingly, I have an observed precipitation variable named rain_obs ([lat | 87] x [time | 123]), both of these variables come from the nc file generated by myself, which may not meet the file standard of MET. I want to know if there is an easy way to make MET evalutate these two variables ( For example, using spatial verification methods)

By the way, if these two variables are rain_forecast ([lat | 87] x [lon| 123]) and rain_obs ([lat | 87] x [lon | 123]), is there a simple way to make MET evalutate these two variables ( For example, also using spatial verification methods).

Thank you for your help.
Kind regards,Zhibo Gao