[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #96971] History for Implementing Climatology Data to Point Stat

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 23 10:44:21 MDT 2020

To whom this may concern,

I am wanting to extend the statistics I currently compute for my point stat
processing with no progress. Currently, I am able to produce mean
forecast/obs and RMSE but I am also wanting to include the following:

   -

   CNT
   -

      Forecast/Observation Standard Deviation
      -

      Pearson Correlation Coefficient
      -

      Standard deviation of the error
      -

      Anomaly Correlation Coefficient
      -

   CST
   -

      Base Rate
      -

      Accuracy
      -

      Frequency Bias
      -

      Heidke Skill Score

At the moment, those statistics listed are all reporting either NA, 0, or 1
(depending on the stat). I understand I need to include thresholds which I
have tried both within my point stat config and outside (but including when
running stat analysis) with no luck.

I thought perhaps my problem was my climo_mean attributes were empty,
however when I try to list txt files it does not accept them (which I
assumed would happen). I then tried to convert these files using
ascii2nc with no luck. I am assuming the error is due to the fact each
climo file uses julian day rather than an individual date (to avoid 35
files having the same information, as these are applicable to 35 years
worth of data). My txt files have the following format:
*Message_Type Station_ID Valid_Time Lat Lon Elevation Variable_Name Level
Height QC_String Observation_Value\n*

If I do not need to provide climatology values to receive those stats
listed, then my issue must be with how I am formatting my point stat and
stat analysis calls  which is as follows:

*for proj in {6..384..6}*

*do    PR=`echo $(printf %03d ${proj})`*

*    ${metDIR}/point_stat ${fcstdir}/${WSFILE}_pr${PR}.nc ${VALIDFILE}
PointStatConfig_ws -v 4 -outdir ${writeDIR} -obs_valid_beg
${VALIDDATE}_000000 -obs_valid_end ${VALIDDATE}_235959 *
*done*

*fileLIST=($(ls ${outdir}/point_stat_*_${currDAY}_*0000V_mpr.txt))*

*${metDIR}/stat_analysis -lookin ${fileLIST} -config
"STATAnalysisConfig_ws" -v 0 -vx_mask FULL -job aggregate_stat -line_type
MPR -out_line_type CNT -out_stat
"${outdir}/${currDAY}cy${CY}_mpr_to_cnt.stat" -by FCST_VAR,OBS_SID -set_hdr
VX_MASK OBS_SID -set_hdr DESC CASE -out
"${outdir}/${YYYY}${MM}${DD}_v${currDAY}_ws_cnt.stat"*

*  ${metDIR}/stat_analysis -lookin ${fileLIST} -config
"STATAnalysisConfig_ws" -v 0 -vx_mask FULL -job aggregate_stat -line_type
MPR -out_line_type MCTS -out_stat
"${outdir}/${currDAY}cy${CY}_mpr_to_mcts.stat" -by FCST_VAR,OBS_SID
-set_hdr VX_MASK OBS_SID -set_hdr DESC CASE -out_thresh
ge4.12,ge10.29,ge18.01,ge25.72 -out
"${outdir}/${YYYY}${MM}${DD}_v${currDAY}_ws_mcts.stat"  *

If it is more beneficial, I have provided the following attachments:
1. Current working point stat config file (PointStatConfig_ws)
2. Testing point stat config file for climo (PointStatConfig_ws.test)
3. Stat analysis config (STATAnalysisConfig_ws)
4. 4 fcst data files (ws_YYYYMMDDCY_c00_prPPP)
5. 1 obs data file (YYYYMMDD_CY:00:00) which used ascii2nc to be created
6. 1 climo file (jdDDD_climatology)

Hopefully I did not provide too much information on what I have been trying
to accomplish. But basically, I am trying to utilize point_stat to compute
those stats listed for 36 core airports across CONUS, and at this point I
am at a loss as to why some work and others do not. Any and all guidance is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Erica Burrows
Atmospheric Scientist
INNOVIM/Climate Prediction Center
NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction
5830 University Research Court
College Park, MD 20740

Work:
Cell: 818-925-5795