[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #95032] History for Running MODE with NetCDF File

David Fillmore via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 13 10:59:53 MDT 2020

Hello Met Help,

I am trying to get MODE to run with a NetCDF file that was received from a
partner and am getting the following error:  ERROR  : Trouble reading
forecast file
"/export/hpc-lw-hmtdev2/balbright/Desktop/python/wwe2020/grib2/utah_gfsds/GFSDS_20191119_0000_24hr_inches.nc"

I have limited experience with NetCDF files as I usually use grib2, but I
have run it before with a NetCDF file.  The one difference between the file
I had success with and the one that is giving me errors is that one has
"level" metadata stored in it for the variable of interest and one does
not.  This is causing an issue because I do not know what to put in the
config file for the forecast variable "level".  Is there any way to run
MODE without specifying a level or is there a default level that I can try
to make it run correctly?  I've attached the netCDF file I am trying to use
as a google drive link because it is on the larger size.  The variable I am
trying to use in there is "dqsf."  I've also attached the script I am
using.  The config settings in question are on line 127-128.  If you need
any more information from me please let me know and I would really
appreciate any ideas or help you can provide.

File link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VCA5tCXzqO2IIQzJqhvtoyboOYAOduX-

Thanks,
Ben Albright