[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #96825] History for reader for NRL "innovation files"

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 1 14:36:21 MDT 2020

We had discussed previously the prospect of creating a read tool for the NRL
innovation files (similar to pb2nc).  The innovation files are basically our
version of prepBUFR.

The innovation files are ascii files with a 75 line header.  The column
description is below.  If you all could provide a reader to get these files
into MET that would be great!  I'm happy to provide a sample data set and
any additional information that you may need.

Thanks,

Liz

1. n: Observation number for indexing obs.

2. ob: Observation value.

3. bk_ob: Background (short-term forecast) value, interpolated in space and
time to the observation location/time.

4. t_bk_ob: Supplemental information required for assimilating the
observation.

5. xiv_ob: Innovation, or difference between the observation and the
background value (e.g., ob - bk_ob)

6. err_ob: Observation error standard deviation

7. etc_ob: Supplemental information required for assimilating the
observation.

8. lat_ob: latitude of the observation.

9. lon_ob: longitude of the observation.

10. p_ob: pressure level of observation; except for radiances.

11. jvarty: Jvarty_ob in the code, this is the variable type code.

12. insty: Insty_ob in the code; instrument type code.

13. nvp: Number of observations in the "profile"

14. ichk: Quality indicator.

15. idt: Time difference in seconds from the center of the time window. For
a 6-hr time window, the values range from -10800 to +10800.

16. c_pf_ob: Observation platform identifier (16 characters). For radiances,
this includes sensor name (AMSU-A), channel number, ascending/descending
flag and assimilate flag (A, M, R - for assimilate, monitor or reject). For
radiosonde, it includes the block/station number.

17. c_db_ob: More platform identifiers (10 characters). For radiances, this
is includes the satellite name (NOAA15), and land/sea/ice flag. For
radiosondes, it includes the retransmission status.

18. idp: NAVDAS computes the pressure change over the assimilation window
and stores here.

19. lsi: Land/sea/ice flag

20. rej: Reject flag

21. bkerr: background error standard deviation, in observation space.

22. cob: analysis solution, in observation space prior to being projected
back into model space

23. resid: residual in observation space, or H(analysis - background).

A read statement would look like:

C=textscan(fileID,
'%*7d%8f%*1c%8f%*1c%*8f%*1c%8f%9f%*1c%*9f%*1c%9f%*1c%9f%*1c%11f%*1c%2d%*1c%3
d%*1c%5d%*1c%*4d%*1c%7d%*2c%16c%*2c%10c%*1c%*4d%*1c%*2d%*1c%3d%*1c%7f%*1c%*7
f%*1c%9f%*1c%9f%*[^\n]','headerlines',75,'whitespace','','delimiter','/n');

fortran   = '7s 9s 1x 8s 1x 8s 1x 8s 9s 1x 9s 1x 9s 1x 9s 1x 11s ' +\

                 '1x 2s 1x 3s 1x 5s 1x 4s 1x 7s 2x 16s 2x 10s 1x 4s 1x 2s '
+\

                '1x 3s 1x 7s 1x 7s 1x 9s 1x 9s'

Elizabeth Satterfield
Editor, Monthly Weather Review

Chair, AMS Committee on Probability and Statistics

Meteorologist, Code 7531
Marine Meteorology Division
U.S. Naval Research Laboratory
T 831.656.4056  F 831.656.4026
 <http://www.nrl.navy.mil/> www.nrl.navy.mil

FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY - PRIVACY SENSITIVE
Any misuse or unauthorized disclosure may result in both civil and criminal
penalties.