[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #94009] History for netCDF issues when submitting MET jobs to bsub

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 31 09:40:35 MDT 2020

Greetings
Sorry to email both the MET and WCOSS help desks, but I wasn't sure where
to send this ticket.  We have been encountering errors creating and reading
netCDF files on WCOSS (mars) recently.  These errors occur when we call the
MET programs for jobs submitted to the lsf queue.
I was running a series of MET's grid_stat jobs yesterday.  All was going
well until some time after 19Z, all jobs began to fail.  Here is the error
that I got:

'netCDF::exceptions::NcHdfErr'
what():  NetCDF: HDF error
file: ncCheck.cpp  line:92

A sample of the netCDF files that I was using can be found in

/gpfs/dell3/ptmp/John.L.Wagner/matching_urma_tt_2019100509.134086/match_co_2019100509.134086/009

I do not have any issues reading data from these files using ncdump.  They
don't appear to be corrupted.  They are copies of files that I created two
months ago and have been testing with for some time now.
Here are the bsub settings I'm using to submit this job:

export NTASK=104
export PTILE=28
export OMP_NUM_THREAD=20
bsub -J ${flg}_${src}_${valid_date}_${elem} \
         -W 3:00 \
         -oo $logdir/${flg}_${src}_mpmd_${valid_date}_${elem}.log \
         -eo $logdir/${flg}_${src}_mpmd_${valid_date}_${elem}.log \
         -P MDLST-T2O \
         -M 3000 \
         -q "dev" \
         -cwd $PWD \
         -R "affinity[core(1)]" \
         -n $NTASK \
         -R "span[ptile=$PTILE]" \
         -w "$regrid_dep" \
          $procdir/met_creeper_linden.sh -s $src -t $valid_date -g $flg -f
$force -e $elem

A sample mpmd file that is used for CFP can be found here:

/gpfs/dell3/ptmp/John.L.Wagner/matching_urma_tt_2019100509.134086/mpmd_file_matching_urma_2019100509_tt

Myself and Erin Thead have also encountered issues creating netCDF files
using MET's regrid_data_plane program on WCOSS.  This issue has only been
occurring for the past week or two and again only occurs when a job is
submitted with bsub.  Its not clear to us if something on WCOSS has changed
(netCDF/hdf library), if MET is having issues reading/writing netCDF files
when jobs are run in parallel, or something else.
If you need any more information from us, please let me know.  Again, sorry
for emailing both help desks at once.
John Wagner
Verification Task Lead
COR Task Manager